Merrimack Valley Credit Union and Bridgewater Credit Union, a division of Merrimack Valley Credit Union, care about your financial safety and security.
Be Aware of Scams
There have been some recent fraud attempts that have affected our members. Some of our members have been targeted by an Xfinity scam.
How the scam works:
The scammer pretends to be calling from Xfinity and tells you that you are owed a refund. In order for them to give you the refund, you need to log into online banking. The scammer then remotes into your computer and transfers money from one of your accounts to another. The scammer tells you they have processed the refund but gave you too much. They then ask you to send the excess back to them in gift cards or by a wire transfer.
The scammer told a member they were owed a refund of $1,800. When they remoted in to the member's computer and were given access to online banking, they advanced $15,000 from the member's line of credit to the member's checking account. The scammer told the member the refund was complete and to look in their checking. When the member looked in their checking account, the scammer told them they accidentally refunded them $14,000 extra and needed the member to send them the difference in gift cards.
We are working hard to protect our members, but there are some steps you can take personally to ensure your safety:
- If you are eligible for a refund from any company, the company should not need you to access your online/mobile banking. Do not log in because a company representative asked you.
- Never provide or confirm any financial details to a caller that you’re not familiar with. If you’re not sure, hang up, and call the number back.
- Be on the alert for phone scams, even if you receive a call from our 800 number.
- Don’t give out personal information, such as your email address, phone number, online banking username, PIN, or debit card number.
- Don’t respond “Yes” within a text unless the information is actually accurate. If you are told via text to respond “yes” because they’re testing the fraud system, do not continue the conversation.
If you need to make a change to your contact information, it is most secure to do so yourself in online banking or to visit a branch for assistance.
Our goal is your financial safety and security. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to call 800.356.0067 to speak with a representative.