The truth is, most people with serious money problems do not intend to be in debt, they just end up that way. Sometimes it’s the result of medical expenses or unemployment. Sometimes it’s poor money management. In every case, the way to fix your money problems is not just to eliminate what you owe, but to also address the issues that put you in debt in the first place.
If your application for a loan was denied as a result of late payments, poor or no credit history, or default in loan or credit card payments, we may be able to help.
No Credit History
If you have no credit history, we can help you set up a secured credit card to build up your credit history or open a Credit Builder Loan. Once you've demonstrated a pattern of responsible use of credit and payments, you will be able to establish good credit history.
Poor Credit History
If you have poor credit history, we can connect you to Credit Counseling Service that will show you how to practice better money management and help you repair your credit.
Importance of Good Credit
Today's economy runs on credit. If you want to get a loan to buy a car, house or even to get a student loan to pay for college, you must have good credit.
Your credit information can be a factor in whether or not you can rent a nice apartment, how much you pay for insurance or whether or not you can get a job.
Bad credit can suggest you're a risky bet, and will make it difficult for you to get a credit card with a low interest rate and costs you more to borrow money for any purpose.
It pays to have good credit. Tips on how to improve your FICO scores
Credit Counseling Partner
As a valued member of Merrimack Valley Credit Union and Bridgewater Credit Union, a division of Merrimack Valley Credit Union, we are committed to serving you and we care about your financial health. As a benefit of your membership, we have partnered with GreenPath Financial Wellness to provide you with access to one-on-one financial counseling, debt management services, and financial education tools.
As a national non-profit, GreenPath has been assisting individuals across the country for nearly 60 years and will work with you to provide the best possible options based on your individual financial situation.
As a member of MVCU, you can receive assistance with:
- Financial Counseling - You have access to free, one-on-one financial counseling, and debt counseling delivered by caring, certified experts. They'll help you to understand your situation, learn about options, and make a plan to meet your goals.
- Debt Management Services - If you have high-interest credit card debt, a GreenPath debt management plan may be able to help lower your interest rates so you can pay off debt faster.
- Housing Services - Take advantage of foreclosure prevention services, home buyer preparation assistance, and reverse mortgage counseling.
- Credit Report Review - Understand your personal credit report and how to improve your score.
- Student Loan Counseling - Understand repayment options that can postpone or lower your payments. Learn the pros and cons of each strategy so you can make an informed decision on which is best for you.
GreenPath Counselors are Here to Help
Financial conversations don't need to be painful! Call GreenPath today at 877.337.3399, and one of their kind, caring, NFCC-certified counselors will help you access the resources and experiences you need to make informed financial decisions and find your path to a bright financial future. It's free, no-pressure, and 100% confidential.
Want them to call you instead? Request a call from a GreenPath counselor today!
GreenPath Telephone Counseling Hours
- Monday-Thursday, 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. EST
- Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. EST
- Saturday, 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. EST