On Tuesday, June 13, Merrimack Valley Credit Union (MVCU) awarded a total of $17,500 in scholarships to 16 high school students from southern New Hampshire and Massachusetts. The students were honored with a special ceremony and dinner with MVCU’s senior leadership team at the credit union’s Lawrence corporate office.
Brooke Boucher, a graduating senior at Fairhaven High School, was the 2nd annual recipient of the Lisa Lewis Goodman Spirit Award of $2,500, which honors one student who embodies a spirit of generosity, kindness and selflessness by giving back and volunteering in the community. The award is named after MVCU’s long-time Collections Manager who passed away in 2021. Lewis Goodman’s husband, Brad Goodman, presented the award to Boucher, who will be attending Stonehill College in the fall to study psychology and speech language pathology.
MVCU President & CEO John J. Howard (left) and Brad Goodman (right) with Brooke Boucher, the 2nd annual recipient of the Lisa Lewis Goodman Spirit Award.
$1,000 scholarships were awarded to:
• Emma Abramson, of Sandwich, Mass. Abramson graduated from Sandwich High School and will be attending Williams College to study economics.
• Jason Belkus, of Methuen Mass. Belkus graduated from Central Catholic High School and will attend the Mass Maritime Academy to study energy systems engineering.
• Kayla Bernard, of Salem, NH. Bernard graduated from Salem High School and will be attending the University of Southern New Hampshire to study nursing.
• Shannon Brady, of Norwood, Mass. Brady graduated from Norwood High School and will be attending Bentley University to study finance.
• Delaney Burrell, of Yarmouth Port, MA. Burrell graduated from St. John Paul II High School and will attend the University of Tennessee at Knoxville to study public administration.
• Julia Camasso, of Haverhill, Mass. Camasso graduated from Haverhill High School and will attend Endicott College in the fall.
• Yuet Tung Chang, of Quincy, Mass. Chang graduated from North Quincy High School and will attend Northeastern University to study biology.
• Hailey Furtado, of Fall River, Mass. Furtado graduated from Atlantis Charter School and will attend Bryant University to study business management and psychology.
• Corinne Kelly, of Pelham, NH. Kelly graduated from Pelham High School and will attend Regis College to study dental hygiene.
• Rima Lambert, of Newburyport, MA. Lambert graduated from Newburyport High School and will attend Ohio State University to study public affairs.
• Jocelyn Li, of Wellesley, Mass. Li graduated from Wellesley High School and will attend Williams College in the fall.
• Ryan Lynde, of Pelham NH. Lynde graduated from Lowell Catholic High School and will attend Merrimack College to study data science.
• James Pinkham, of Wareham, Mass. Pinkham graduated from Wareham High School and will attend the University of Massachusetts at Amherst to study informatics.
• Hunter Robinson, of Middleboro, Mass. Robinson graduated from Middleboro High School and will attend Bridgewater State University to study business management.
• Danny Tran, of Lawrence, Mass. Tran graduated from Lawrence High School and will attend Harvey Mudd College to study environmental science and engineering.
Winners were selected from a pool of close to 400 applicants, who were tasked with answering the essay question, “How would you define success for yourself?”
“This is by far the most applications we’ve had since starting our scholarship program,” said MVCU President and CEO John J. Howard during the ceremony on June 13. We continue to be impressed by the caliber of the students right here in our backyard… You were selected from a very competitive pool of applicants because of your commitment to your education and your community, both in and out of school. You should all be very proud of yourselves!”
To learn more, visit www.mvcu.com/scholarship.